Help, I'm Bloated!
We've all been there! It's that time of the month or we've had a weekend pizza bender and Monday we are not starting the day feeling our best....whoops. Never fear I have complied some fast tricks to helping you de-bloat and also prevent bloating prior to a big weekend where you might be showing some skin!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Add 1-2 tablespoons in a glass of water before your next meal or when you wake up to kick-start your metabolism and allow your body to process your food better.
- Peppermint Tea with your meal will help reduce any gas and bloating that has built up. (Add 1/2 tsp of grated ginger as well to increase your metabolism)
- Take an epsom salt bath! Excess water will be pulled out of the body a little easier. Keep in mind this is dehydrating so drink lots of water (which will help as well).
- Add cilantro to your next meal! A study done in the journal Digestive Diseases and Science found that patients with IBS benefited from adding cilantro to combat bloating!
- Make your next meal a little smaller and eat slloowwwwerrrr. This will allow your body to let in less air and process the food better as you eat it.
- Eat foods high in fiber! Aim for 25 grams a day and grab foods like whole grains, fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- Drink LOTS of water! Bloating is not caused by an excess of foods so sip up! Half your body weight in ounces is ideal.
- Make sure you do not have a tolerance to gluten or dairy. This is a common side effect if your body has trouble digesting these things. If you are experiencing bloating regularly, pay attention to when it occurs and what foods you are eating beforehand.
- Watch your sodium intake! Shoot for between 1500-2300 mg of sodium per day so limit less than 500 mg to any one given product. Sodium is high in processed, canned and frozen foods.
- Limit beans and "gassy" veggies. Certain cruciferous veggies like broccoli, brussle sprouts and cauliflower have been known to cause excess gas and bloating whereas asparagus is a great alternative!
- Skip the gum! It causes you to swallow excess air and the gum contains additives and sugar alcohol that are linked to bloating.
- Cut back on alcohol and greasy foods. Obviously we know these foods are not ideal for many reasons but because these cause inflammation in our bodies they can create bloating as well.
- Add a probiotic to your morning routine! Probiotic heavy foods aid in digestion and help create a healthier gut to prevent bloating.
Hope these were helpful cuz no one likes to feel bloated! Let me know if I missed any or if you test any of these out I would love to hear :)