All You Need To Know About Eating Sugar!
If you haven't heard about the downside to consuming sugar than this information might come as a shock to you...however, I think by now most of us have noticed the circulating articles, documentaries and insta stories about the side effects of sugar. Even eating plans like Whole 30 strongly emphasize consuming no sugar during your 30 days which is actually much harder than people think!
So I wanted to give you a brief rundown of why you should start keeping an eye on your sugar consumption and what the side-effects are to a little too much! Now a little chocolate here and a piece of cake there never hurt anyone but sugar is creeping into more and more foods and causing more and more problems so being aware is key when combating these issues!
Sneaky foods that DO contain sugar!
- Pasta Sauce
- Table Salt
- Salad Dressing
- Dried Fruit (adds sugar in addition to the natural sugar already in the fruit)
- Meat Sauces
- Protein Bars
- Almond and Peanut Butter
- Wheat Bread
- Green Juices
*The key take away is to READ your ingredient labels! Understand what you are consuming and putting into your body!
Alternative names for sugar:
So there are over 50 different names....LIKE WHAT?! But these are just a few!
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Anhydrous detrose, crystal dextrose
- Brown sugar
- Corn sweetener
- Corn syrup
- Fructose sweetener
- Cane crystals
- Cane sugar
- Rice syrup
- Crystalline fructose
- Barley malt
Side-Effects to eating too much sugar!
- It spikes your insulin which in turn tells your hormones to store it in fat cells and causes you to gain weight.
- It can change the microbiome of your digestive tract and skin causing inflammatory diseases such as Chron's and IBS.
- It is at stimulant that can interrupt your sleep and natural circadian rhythms.
- Mood swings and roller coster energy swings are tied to the increase and decrease of your blood sugar levels. When you consume sugar your brain goes on a high only to come down a few hours later and craves more! Ever wonder why you crash after lunch? Take a look at what you are eating and think about how it is processing into your body. Refined carbohydrates and fruit turn into sugar in your body and will causes these spikes.
- Can cloud your mind making it challenging to think clearly and easily process information. Who needs this in the middle of a work day?!
- Causes breakouts! Especially small white bumps usually found on your forehead and cheeks.
The key is consuming your sugar alongside fat, protein and fiber which will slow down the insulin response and trigger your body to feel like you are full so you don't over eat! Everything in moderation is key! But if you are unknowingly over consuming something than it is no longer in moderation.
If I am going to consume and enjoy sugar I want it to be from the s'mores or Reese's I decide to eat as a treat! Not in the salad dressing I am selecting because I think it is healthy!
Hope this was helpful :) Did you know sugar hid in so many things!? Want to keep up with all the latest health trends? Make sure you are subscribed to our newsletter below!