Product Review: Beauty Counter
So I might be a little late to the game when it comes to responsible skincare and makeup but I got here as fast as I could nonetheless. Now full disclosure, my whole routine is not natural, minimal ingredients and so on but I am working on it!
My real interest in this started when my bestie Jourdan invited me to the Indie Beauty Expo in Dallas, which was all geared towards sharing and showcasing natural beauty products that didn't use harmful ingredients. I was intrigued and am always down for a reason to dress up and test out pretty things that are also good for my body and skin. I absolutely loved it and love to see how much this beauty space is growing!
So timing could not have been better when my friend Wendi reached out to me about Beauty Counter. Now I was familiar with the products because Wendi and I had talked about them before but when she reached out this time I actually understood how important these products were and was ready to test them out.
She was so knowledgable and helpful when it came to picking out products I wanted to try and what she thought would best fit my lifestyle! After even just a few weeks of testing these out I am obsessed and have a few favorites that I plan to keep in my beauty routine moving forward!
Just a little background into Beauty Counter and their mission:
- There are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today and many do not have any safety data on them. This is particularly true for the skin care and beauty industry and something that Beauty Counter wanted to help change.
- BC has compiled a list of more than 1,500 questionable or harmful chemicals that are in our day to day products but they commit to not using any of them and still providing products that perform.
- Fun fact: The European Union has banned more than 1,300 chemicals in its product formulas and restricted the levels of over 250 more in beauty products. The US has only partially banned 30 to date.
- Their mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone.
I think it is truly beautiful what they are doing and honestly I was unaware of so many of these facts before I started researching. I will be the first to admit I love walking into Sephora and just buying all the pretty things but I am learning that the standards and chemicals behind some of them are actually harmful and something I do not want to support. Starting with Beauty Counter is one of my first steps in supporting a company who is doing their best to ensure that everything we use is safe and yet still works great!
Products I tried and my review of them:
- Cleansing Balm ($80): This was by far the favorite product that I tried! Seriously it was magical! I honestly don't really enjoy washing my face but there was something about just rubbing the balm on my face and then wiping it off that I really liked! I could immediately tell a difference even without any other products on my face because the balm has so many additional moisturizing properties as well! Some people even use it as a light moisturizer, so essentially two products in one! And a little goes a long way too so I really feel like you get your bang for your buck.
- Lip Conditioner in Peppermint ($20): Ok this was another top favorite for me because I feel like my lips are always chapped haha so I actually really needed this! I would put it on every night and it has seriously made such a difference! It smells amazing and I can tell the oils in it are really natural. It doesn't feel thick or sticky which I also really appreciate! I carry it in my purse too and will add it though out the day if I want a little sheen.
- Tint Skin ($41): I am up early with most of my clients but I don't want to look or feel like I just woke up but I also don't want to spend a lot of time putting on makeup so this lightweight foundation was a life save for sure!! It is heavier than their Dew Skin Foundation which I liked but if you wanted lighter coverage that would be a great alternative. You could then layer a more night-time foundation on top later if you wanted even more coverage without it being cakey. There is not SPF in the foundation though so make sure you put on your sunscreen as well!
- Sun Protection 30 SPF ($32): Natural segway right into the sunscreen I tested out and really liked! haha The sunscreen protects against both UVA and UVB rays while also hydrating with aloe! It is water-resistance and was perfect to use over this holiday Fourth of July weekend! Because it is a natural sunscreen I would say it was a little oiler than others I have used but it didn't really bother me since I was using it for everyday use and when I would go to the pool! This is such an important product for everyone to have because it is not only protecting our skin from the sun but nourishing it with ingredients that won't harm us at the same time.
- Nourishing Rosewater Mist ($35): I feel like the rosewater spray has really taken the skincare and beauty market by storm and especially in this summer heat I am loving it! This Rosewater Mist was just as refreshing as you could hope for on a warm day or even to use as a toner in your skincare routine. I loved how it smelled and it was super easy to carry in my purse! Be mindful that it can dry skin out because it is water base and has alcohol in it, so if you use it a few times a day make sure to add a little moisturizer after too! (This is for any spray like this, not just this one in particular).
I really loved trying products from all of their skincare categories because it helped me see that I could really build a whole new routine and product base from this brand. I was not disappointed with any of them and cannot wait to continue trying more! I feel it is important to not only be conscientious of what we put in our bodies but what we put on it as well and I am thankful for companies like Beauty Counter who make that so much easier!
If you are interested in having Wendi set you up with some products her contact info is below!
Beauty Counter Website: www.beautycounter.com/wendibronaugh