Are Your Resolutions Actually Getting in Your Way?
I know now that it is the new year a lot of us are looking to make some changes and implement new habits. I love the new year, I think it is a great time to refocus and a perfect opportunity to assess where you are at and see if you are still on track as you move towards your goals. Or maybe as you assess you realize that your goals have changed and this is a great time to figure out what new direction you would like to go. Even though we can really do this any time of the year a lot of people don’t feel ready until January first, or their birthday or some big calendar worthy event that denotes the opportunity for change. This is an archaic idea, built on the foundation that encourages us to just wait, excusing the in-between time until we feel “ready” to change.
However, it really isn’t the resolution that matters. And when you get so focused on the goal you sometimes realize that you don’t even know what to do today to get there. That is why January shouldn’t be a time for resolutions but a time for plans, a time for systems and a time for processes. More than likely a lot of your goals are the same year to year; get in shape, find your dream job, take more you time, travel more and so on. These are all wonderful goals, but a dream without a deadline will remain just that…a dream. A dream without a plan and a process is just an idea that you cannot wish into existence.
I challenge you this month and the months ahead to actually put pen to paper and make a plan when you choose a new goal. For example, if your goal is weight loss, write down in your calendar what days you are going to workout and what you are going to do. Find an accountability partner to check in with. Set aside time on Sunday to grocery shop and meal prep for the week. These are ACTUAL tangible steps that will help you achieve your goals. This is not a resolution but rather a system put in place that actually gives you a better chance of succeeding.
If you are trying to decide how to break down your new year’s resolution in a way that gives you concrete steps, answer the questions below and hopefully that will help get you started.
- What is your goal?
- If this a new goal for you, list out why you are choosing it.
- If this an old goal that you still want for yourself, list out why you still want it AS WELL AS why you have not been able to achieve it in the past.
- What are small daily/weekly things you can do to get you closer to your goals?
- Write in your calendar when you are going to do these smaller things.
- What are monthly checkin’s/deadlines you can set to make sure you are on track and reevaluate if necessary? Add those to your calendar.
- Select an accountability partner to check-in with or participate with you. When you make others aware of your goals they can help you along the way as well as encourage you when you feel you are getting off track.
- Do something RIGHT NOW! In this very moment, do one little thing that gets you closer to one of your goals for the new year.
The time is NOW. Waiting only makes it easier for other things to get in the way and for our new goals, and new habits to get pushed aside. Do not let another day pass without taking the first step. You can absolutely do this, you only need to take it day by day and get started now. Good luck this year, 2017 has the potential to be the year all your dreams come true ;)